Open Minds. Open Markets.
Mahuki is an in-residence programme that runs for four months each year in Te Papa's purpose-built innovation space in our Cable Street building in central Wellington. Applications have now closed for our 2016 intake, but you can register your interest for next year's programme.
During the four months, 10 teams develop solutions to one or more of the 12 challenges facing cultural institutions.
The first three months are based onsite at Te Papa and focus on three key areas: ideation, design and validation. For teams that show promise, the fourth month involves an offshore programme, with a 10-14 day trip to provide an international perspective and help teams understand the global potential of their business or product.
Who should apply
Applications are open to anyone with an idea or solution that relates to one of our 12 challenges. We expect our first cohort to bring expertise in areas like gaming, animation, virtual reality, mobile design and 3D modelling.
You might be:
- an established business with a relevant product or service
- a start-up with a big idea
- a group of students
- a social enterprise.
At least one place will be reserved for a Maori team.
We expect teams to be made up of 2 to 4 people, though we'll consider individuals as well. You'll need to commit to being based at Te Papa for the duration of the programme.
What you get
Each team gets:
- financial support of $20,000
- access to Te Papa's experts, collections and visitors
- knowledge and understanding to better deliver to the cultural sector in NZ and globally
- visits from international experts who are leaders in digital integration and innovation in the cultural/entertainment sector
- the opportunity to visit global cultural leaders and meet international experts in the field.
What we get
Te Papa takes a small shareholding in your company in recognition of the value of the programme.